Another year, another 90+ photo assignments! 2014 was another great year for me photography-wise. The Washington Post kept me busy, sending me to multiple concerts each week and I picked up a few new clients, including Swim Bike Run Photo, who allowed me to join their excellent group of race photographers. I landed magazine placements in GQ, Arlington Magazine, DC Modern Luxury and a few more. But the thing I was most proud of this year was landing two photos that will be on permanent display in Chuck Brown Park in Northeast D.C. I was first approached about having my photos used as part of the park more than two years ago, so it was very satisfying to see it all come to fruition. Looking back through my archives, I realize I never did a proper post on my photos in the park, so I’ll get that done as soon as I can. Until then, you can see one of my photos in the background in the top photo here.
Obviously I am looking forward to bigger and better things in 2015, my 9th (!!!!) year shooting concerts in D.C. Man, time flies. I appreciate everyone coming along for the ride with me. So without further ado, here are my favorite concert photos of 2014.
1) Miley Cyrus @ Verizon Center – This seriously might be one of the best concert photos I’ve ever taken. This show was incredible, a photographer’s dream.When this scene was unfolding, I was praying I could get everything framed properly with my 300mm/2.8 and I was just able to get the Big Sean puppet’s hands in the frame. This photo has it all – Miley’s ass crack, dollar bills flying through the air, a green Caddy and a Parental Advisory sticker in the background.
2) Luke Bryan @ Jiffy Lube Live – Luke Bryan is always a fun shoot, he’s energetic and really engages with the crowd. We were at the end of a long T-shaped stage extension when I shot this and I got the timing perfect as he tossed the mic from one hand to the other.
3) Johnny Marr @ 9:30 Club – This photo is my everything.
4) 2 Chainz @ 9:30 Club – 2 CHAINZ!! When I shot this photo I was worried it wouldn’t work because I was a little too far to the left of 2 Chainz to frame him properly, but it totally works because he’s looking out over my head into the crowd.
5) St. Vincent @ 9:30 Club – Easily the most visually interesting club show I saw this year. Dramatic lighting and an electric performance. There were so many photos to choose from from this show but I like the lighting and the moment best on this one.
6) Fat Trel @ Trillectro – I’ve shot local rapper Fat Trel multiple times over the last two years and he’s always good for a few portfolio worthy shots per show. Here is this year’s. He was one of the early acts at Trillectro and he ventured out into the crowd (with his entire crew) when he needed to get things turnt up.
7) Old Crow Medicine Show @ Patriot Center – These guys put on a great show opening for The Avett Bros. I really like the colors and the framing in this shot. The broken bow string is a nice addition.
8) Rick Ross @ Echostage – Just the perfect hip-hop photo. Ross posing with his ice on, with the Ciroc promo and the obligatory random person in the background messing around on their phone.
9) Spoon @ Lincoln Theatre (Night #2) – This is Britt Daniels’ guitar move. I know I wanted a good photo of it during these shows but it took me two nights to get it. The lights on the first night didn’t cooperate. I love the very faint frame within a frame that Britt is standing in.
10) Enrique Iglesias @ Verizon Center – Enrique is generally very boring to shoot as he doesn’t move around much, so I was trying to do something different when I went wide and the lights cooperated.
11) Charli XCX @ 2014 Jingle Ball – Another shot where I went wider and the background and lighting cooperated. The row of lights by Charli’s elbow spent most of the night pointing directly into my lens, so I was thankful most of them took a quick timeout for me to grab this frame.
12) Pitbull @ Verizon Center – All respect to Mr. Worldwide, but I find this photo deeply troubling, bordering on nightmare fuel.
Check out my Top 50 concert photos in the slideshow below. Quite a year! I’m really looking forward to 2015. My resolution for the year is to hit a few festivals this year. I’ve stuck to the local fests for a few years and I am itching to make a few road trips and hit up some different cities.