2013 was a great year for me, personally and professionally and was my most successful year ever as a photographer. In addition to my regular concert workload for the Washington Post, I had a few magazine spreads over the course of the year, took on a number of new clients like Red Bull and Levi’s and did a ton of event work. I was also named one of Complex Magazine’s Top 50 Concert Photographers Right Now, which was quite a thrill. 2014 is already off to a good start and I’m excited to find out what the year has in store for me, but for now, here are my favorite photos from the past year.
1) The Hives @ 9:30 Club, December 2013 – When you’re shooting The Hives, you’re basically trying to keep up with the band and hope you nail something like this. By far my favorite show and favorite assignment of 2013. I could easily make this list solely of photos from this show, but I won’t.
2) A$AP Ferg @ Trillectro, August 2013 – I have so many mixed feelings on Trillectro. It’s such a fun and unique event, but it’s unorganized and horribly run (mostly due to the incompetent venue security staff). I seriously feared for my safety a few times that day, and not because of the acts on stage, but because of hazards in the photo pit. Still, this shot’s a keeper.
3) Nine Inch Nails @ Verizon Center, October 2013 – My first time seeing NIN in concert and I was totally blown away. Easily the best (and most challenging) concert light I’ve shot at the VC.
4) Janelle Monae @ Lincoln Theater, October 2013 – My muse. I love her. My two favorite acts to shoot in concert are The Hives and her, so I am lucky to have been able to shoot both in 2013.
5) The Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Sweetlife Festival, May 2013 – The Yeah Yeah Yeahs (and Karen O specifically) are just so much fun to shoot. I wish they’d tour more.
6) Drake @ Verizon Center, October 2013 – I’m still not sold on Drake as a performer and I hate his lighting guy with the intensity of 1,000 suns, but I quite like this shot.
7) No Age @ Station to Station in Pittsburgh, PA, September 2013 – For me, personally, 2013 will be remembered as the year I finally “got” No Age. They blew me away with their performance in Pittsburgh and could very well be my favorite band on the planet right now. A total kick-ass show that obliterated my expectations. Just perfect.
8) Pink @ Verizon Center, March 2013 – Another show that I didn’t expect much from and over delivered. I still can’t get over Pink’s Cirque Du Soleil opening. Good stuff!
9) The National @ Merriweather Post Pavilion, June 2013 – I was happy to finally get to shoot The National in some decent light and come away with an image like this. This shot was one of the last five frames I shot that night, so always keep shooting until the song is over!
10) Bilal @ Black Cat, March 2013 – I love The Cat, but the lighting is a challenge (to put it nicely) and good shots there are a definite challenge. So this capture was a nice surprise.
By my count, I had 110 assignments in 2013 (that’s concerts, events and sports) which is the perfect number for me. I like to be out shooting every third night or so. I hope to continue that this year. I have a number of ideas I’m hoping come to fruition this year and if/when that happens I’ll be sure to loop everybody in. Thanks so much for stopping by my little corner of the internet and taking an interest in my work. Here are all of my favorite photos from 2013.